Our products have not been linked to promoting the growth of Staphylococcus Aureus, the bacterium believed to cause Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS).
Population studies suggest that the risk of TSS is related to tampon absorbency; the higher the tampon absorbency, the higher the risk of contracting TSS; the lower the absorbency, the lower the risk of TSS.
Unlike tampons, our products are non-absorbent; they collect rather than absorb period blood. As a precaution, users must change their disc or clean their cup after 12 hours of maximum wear time.
TSS is a rare but serious disease that may cause death. The warning signs include a sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, a rash that looks like sunburn, dizziness, fainting or near fainting, and muscle aches. TSS can progress rapidly from flu-like symptoms to a serious illness that can be fatal.
If you have ever had Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), do not use Flex Cup or any other internally worn product.